Monday 12 October 2015

GW/NW-038 Moel Ysgyfarnogod



A change in the weather?

GW/NW-038 Moel Ysgyfarnogod

10/10/2015

It took Val and I about two and half hours to reach the parking spot as described to me by Barry M0IML and the description by Gerald MW0WMLon  http://sotawatch.org/article.php?summit=GW/NW-038&id=11528 . Their instruction to the summit were very accurate and we didn’t put a foot wrong so thank you both.  It’s 3.39Km to the summit with the real summit not being visible until you are within a few 100m of it but once you reach it there is a wonderful vista towards North Wales and the Snowdonia range of mountains. The ‘Rhinogs’ had been on the plan for some time and formed part of our view from many summits during the summer...we had arrived for summit number one.
My GPS track 

From the parking spot..turn right at the farm..summit behind the telegraph post
The track..summit directly ahead but hidden 
One of two gates on the track

Bear left at the plantation
Final push towards the summit from the gated hole in the wall
Keep Foel Penolau on your right
Before I had finished connecting the FT817 to the linked dipole Wayne and Jonathan were calling from their respective SOTA summits and with Kieran, Doug and John followed in rapid succession ...I qualified the summit in 5 minutes. Thanks everyone.

11:25z
2W0WDS/P
144MHz
FM
Wayne s2s
11:25z
GW2HFR/P
144MHz
FM
Jonathan s2s
11:27z
M6AIF/P
144MHz
FM
Kieran
11:28z
2E0JBQ
144MHz
FM
Doug
11:30z
GW4ZPL/P
144MHz
FM
John

 Bothy bag deployed..cold wind on top


A text from Barry saying that he was on G/SE-015 Cheriton Hill meant I quickly plugged in the 817 and he was soon in the log handing over the frequency to me after a final call...thanks Barry.  It was a struggle as QSB was very rapid and reports had to be repeated quite a few times :)  Jonathan popped up again from GW/NW-066 Garn Boduan with a report that 40m was not in good shape including many contest stations.
11:44z
M0IML/P
5MHz
SSB
Barry s2s
11:47z
G7BGA
5MHz
SSB
Geoffrey
11:48z
G8ADD
5MHz
SSB
Brian
11:50z
M0YDH
5MHz
SSB
David
11:56z
M0MDA
5MHz
SSB
Mick
11:57z
GW2HFR/P
5MHz
SSB
Jonathan s2s diff band
11:58z
GM0GOV
5MHz
SSB
Fred
I self-spotted and Christophe came back almost immediately followed by Manuel. It was amazing that Juerg on F/JU-004 CrĂȘt de la Goutte and I managed to get an s2s with the QRM that had now set in so thank you Juerg for the many repeats  and eventually the s2s :)  After an exchange of signal reports with Pedro I was ‘stamped upon’ and that ended my visit to 40m.
12:11z
ON6ZQ
7MHz
SSB
Christophe
12:12z
EA2DT
7MHz
SSB
Manuel
12:14z
F/HB9BIN/P
7MHz
SSB
Juerg s2s
12:16z
EA2CKX
7MHz
SSB
Pedro

Towards Rhinog Fawr
I then had a listen on 20m and found the contest in full swing so I decided  that an official visit to 2m was in order. With a spot up on Sotawatch I began calling with Wayne once again replying and requesting that I spot him on HF...I responded to his request (good phone signal today) and went back to calling on 2m...no takers? By now it was getting cold so thoughts were turning to pulling the plug and comments that our run of nice weather was coming to an end and winter woollies and thermals would have priority from now on.

Snowdon in the cloud...Moel Eilio centre
The cairn, the Trig TP4870...looking towards Porthmadog and the Lleyn Peninsula

With RRT informing me that Gerald had arrived on GW/NW-022 Moel Eilio I gave him a call with 5/9 reports both ways..... I could see his summit:) ...thanks Gerald. Now Phil G4OBK was spotted on 40m but by the time I had arrived on his frequency he had gone but I did manage to pick up Francois ON5SWA who was still there.
12:26z
2W0WDS/P
144MHz
FM
Wayne s2s again
12:47z
MW0WML/P
7MHz
SSB
Gerald s2s
12:50z
ON5SWA
7MHz
SSB
Francois

 Gerald's summit..Moel Eilio..to the right of centre


As I was dismantling the office we had a quick chat with another hill walker then once fully kitted up we checked the GPS and went in search of a Geocache....found it...filled in the log and left something in the box...I think this is Val’s new hobby when on a summit :)

My activation set up:-  (HF) Yaesu FT817 (5 watts) (4Ah LiPo),  4 band link dipole (60/40/20+15m), (VHF) Yaesu FT270 (5watts) into a ‘cable tie’ dipole.. Antenna support - 7m Fishing pole.

Thanks everyone for the contacts and spots.
73 Allan GW4VPX

No comments:

Post a Comment